Monday 12 April 2010

Why can’t I find a healthy balance?

I am definitely a eat healthy or eat absolutely appallingly type of girl, there is no happy medium for me. As soon I start on that slippery slope I just can’t control myself. Friday night was my normal pizza night with hubby and the little man. I share mine with the little man, well he has 1-2 slices, and then I polish off the rest of the 12 inch pizza. This is my treat for the week and that’s absolutely fine and I enjoy it and then get back on it. But I let this one treat turn into the rest of the evening and the next day eating naughty food. After my pizza on Friday and the end of my first week back at work after 10 days off I was exhausted and had no motivation to workout so sat there and scoffed an easter egg and a packet of smarties.

Saturday morning was absolutely fine I went out for my run and then had my protein podge and my healthy protein bar as a snack and then it went down hill. I had a ginsters chicken and bacon slice, custard slice, more chocolate, biscuits and then cheesecake. This was in-between eating my lunch of a ham sandwich and pork steak with potato wedges for dinner. I was like a mad woman possessed; as soon as I finished one the thing I was looking for the next. If I don’t eat anything like this I genuinely don’t think about it or even miss it but as soon as I start on that sugar rush I lose control. I went to bed on Saturday feeling sluggish, bloated and horrible so let that be my lesson.

I mentioned that I went for a run on Saturday and I was flying, I really enjoyed it. The sun was shining and the birds were singing. I only managed to fit a five miler in as I had to be back to take hubby to work but I finished it in 44mins 31 secs so I broke my 9 min barrier. I also felt like I could have gone and done it again when I finished I had bags of energy. One pleased Hannah!

After Saturday I woke up Sunday and made the conscious decision to eat cleanly and stick to maintenance calories. I enjoyed my food and felt so much better. I even went to a kiddies party and manage to resist the buffet. I was being ridiculed for being so healthy and they were saying one piece of pizza won’t hurt or one cake/biscuit won’t hurt blah blah blah. I tried explaining to them that I know it wouldn’t hurt and I wouldn’t have a problem with eating it if I could just stick to one bit instead of I would end up polishing the lot off. I obviously have that type of personality all or nothing!

Food for yesterday was:

B: Choc protein podge
S: Protein Bar
L: 2 Eggs and 2 Egg whites on toast
S: 20g of almonds and 15g of sultanas
D: 190g Chicken Breast, 400g butternut squash, 200g broccoli
S: Protein shake with 100ml of skimmed milk and a skinny cow hot choc before bed (gosh I’m such an old woman!)

Total Calories: 1828
Protein: 178g / 40%
Carbs: 185g / 40.5%
Fat: 45g / 19.5%

Exercise calories: 125

I’ve now have managed to stay off the scales for 4 days, it doesn’t seem like a lot but it is for me. I spied them yesterday whilst I was working out in the garage but I was good and didn’t give in. I’m confident I can last until Friday, it is so much easier when they are not in the house and a constant reminder.

3 comments:

  1. I am definately the same as you Hannah. One always equals 10. And good for you staying away from the buffet - buffet food is always a let down anyway in my experience. I'd much rather of had your pizza night on friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definately take staying away from the buffet as a huge NSV, I know how much you love the party food! Well done.

    On the other food, do you reckon it would help if your weekend meals had more structure? Like if you had a plan of what you were going to eat and stuck to that?

    Or is the problem that this food is in the house and is accessible? If so, could you try putting it in a drawer in the fridge or maybe at the back with a punnet of grapes or something in front so you have a physical block to have to get through? I wonder if you have to move fruit to access naughties whether it would be enough of a deterrent?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies

    Nic I'm so taking that as a NSV with the buffet as you know they are a weakness of mine. The chocolate and the biscuits were in the house (we didn't buy them though) as they are Lewis' but he has a reaction to chocolate so can't eat it much so me and hubby have been helping him out LOL! The cake and cheesecake I bought for hubby (yes he's off his body building strict diet, that's a whole other story) and I gave in and ate a slice of each, just thank goodness I bought two individual slices of each instead of a the whole cake like I normally buy. And the pasty I went and bought, I had to stop in the shop and there it was calling me. Good news is though I didn't enjoy it, it had a bit of gristle in it and tasted very salty so no thank you not for me again.

    ReplyDelete